Re: "Proper" english [off topic]

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 03:07:10PM -0600, David Welton wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 02:25:47PM -0600, Bud Rogers wrote:
> > Magnus Danielson <cfmd@swipnet.se> writes:
>
> > > It's only in American English which 1 billion means 1000 milions,
> > > so there is a real diffrence in which Debian can't overbridge. The
> > > only possibility would be to have Americans learn propper English
> > > (OK, flamebate, but so what) ;)
>
> > Magnus, I think you're absolutely right.  But it's probably a lost
> > cause.  Just one Amurkin's opinion...
>
> Met[er] is pronounced Mee-tur, not Meet-ray, so Meter is of course
> correct.  Metre comes from French, but we are speaking English, so
> staying close to French spellings isn't all that important.

[snip]

Wrong.  Much of English comes from French, German and Latin.  Metre is
correct (ask any Englishman).  *Americans* are the only ones who spell
things "the other way".

But yes, it doesn't really matter.
--
"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
     -- Windows 95 BSOD

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/spamoff.html
GnuPG Public Key:   http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5 695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0