Re: /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc?

Steve Bowman <sbowman@goodnet.com> writes:

> > > This is a good idea for programs that live in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin, but
> > > would require program support to check for configs in multiple locations.
> > > However, I suggest that programs living in /bin and /sbin MUST have
> > > their configs in /etc in case /usr is not available.

You are right there, everything thats needed to mount /usr must be on
/, but thats not that much.

> And here's the output file (tmp.pkginfo4):
> /etc/skel/.bash_profile
> /etc/skel/.bashrc
Not needed at all by any program and very shareable.

> /etc/init.d/*
Those are binaries needed to boot.

> /etc/security/access.conf
> /etc/security/group.conf
> /etc/security/limits.conf
> /etc/security/pam_env.conf
> /etc/security/time.conf
Must be present, but can be shared across a pool.
/etc/share/security would be a good place for them.

The same counts for several other files that folloed.

/usr/etc would not be the right place for them, becaue /usr might not
be present, but /etc/share would clarify the fact that they can be
shared and for nfs-root /etc/share can be a link to a commong
/etc/share directory.

I think the diskless package should have a list of shareable files and
move them to /share/etc and link them in /boot-$IP/etc. Also most of
the files in /etc are shareable many must be present, so only for
diskless clients a linkfarm would make sense. On normal systems a
linkfarm in /etc would probably harm more than it does good.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: Special packages that could/should realy go to /usr/etc are
excluded from this thoughts, but thats something to dicuss per
package.