Re: /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc?

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 05:30:13AM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:

> BTW, I *like* the idea of moving stuff out of /etc to /usr/etc or
> maybe /usr/local/etc.  It's not the /etc is too big, it's too messy.
> I just think that stuff in /bin and /sbin set an upper bound on what
> can be moved without breaking things.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I think I overstated my case a
little bit on two counts....  First, I should have said *risk* of
breaking things.  Of course they'll work fine normally.  Second, the
search I did makes an unstated assumption since it was done by package.
There may be packages that have multiple binaries and the conffiles
are used by binaries in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin and not even used by the
binaries in /bin or /sbin.  I don't have an easy answer for how to winnow
out unneeded conffiles to remove this assumption.  Probably case-by-case
examination is needed.

Regards,
Steve Bowman