Re: Weird errors from update-alternatives

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 05:21:31PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott was heard to say:
> See bug 37252--I believe it is responsible for what you are seeking.
>
> tkstep8.0 registers slave alternatives (under wish) for
> /usr/man/man1/wish8.0.1.gz and /usr/bin/wish8.0 .  This is bad because 1)
> tk8.0 does not register these as slave alternatives, and 2) these are
> actually files in tk8.0!
>
> However, I do not know why it would give this message about
> /usr/bin/wish8.0 and not about /usr/man/man1/wish8.0.1.gz .  If you want
> help pursuing this further, let me know.
>
> You can also see bug 37254 I reported against dpkg for its role in the
> fiasco.
>
> Andrew

  Ai!  Those are *old* bugs!  (although given that dpkg is involved, I shouldn't
be too surprised..)  It doesn't seem to have trashed my system, and
unfortunately I don't have a log of the messages -- I may have had something
similar for the manpage that I didn't catch -- so I think I'll just let it go
and wait for the slowly-turning gears of Debian to fix it.

  Daniel

--
"Inconceivable!"
  -- "The Princess Bride"