Weird errors from update-alternatives

  My system upgrade today (from yesterday's potato to today's potato) produced
the following odd output:

Setting up tk8.2 (8.2.0-3) ...
Checking available versions of wish, updating links in /etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving wish (/usr/bin/wish) pointing to /usr/bin/wish8.2.
Updating wish.1 (/usr/share/man/man1/wish.1.gz) to point to /usr/share/man/man1/wish8.2.1.gz.
Removing wish8.0.1 (/usr/man/man1/wish8.0.1.gz), not appropriate with /usr/bin/wish8.2.
warning: /usr/bin/wish8.0 is supposed to be a slave symlink to
 /etc/alternatives/wish8.0, or nonexistent; however, readlink failed: Invalid argument
Removing wish8.0 (/usr/bin/wish8.0), not appropriate with /usr/bin/wish8.2.

  In particular, note the last three lines.  /usr/bin/wish8.0 is in the package
tk8.0, and I got set to file a Grave bug against something for clobbering
a package's files arbitrarily (I wasn't sure whether dpkg or tk8.0 was at
fault).  However, I decided first to examine /usr/bin/wish8.0 and see what was
there now.  To my surprise, it was a binary which appears to belong to the
tk8.0 package!  So there are two things going on here:

  -> The readlink failure.  I suspect that this is occuring because the file
    is not a symlink.

  -> The removal message.  First, shouldn't update-alternatives do something
    more graceful than unconditionally clobbering whatever existed there before?
    Second, why didn't it delete the file?

  Anyone know why this is, and why I haven't seen this behavior before? (I
noticed that dpkg was upgraded over two version numbers, but the only
change to update-alternatives doesn't sound like it would be likely to be
affected by this..)

  Daniel

--
  The Disc, being flat, has no real horizon.  Any adventurous sailors who get
funny ideas from staring at eggs and oranges too long and set out for the