Re: bash package removing /bin/sh on upgrade

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 07:09:14PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 02:10:45AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > (What is the problem with --rename, btw? I'm curious, and dpkg-divert is
> > horribly underdocumented)
> >From dpkg-divert --help:
> --rename causes dpkg-divert to actually move the file aside (or back).
> There's no reason to remove the /bin/sh link.  By default, dpkg-divert
> will divert the effect of future installs without touching the target
> file.

Oh, okay. Yeah, that works too --- I was concerned that not moving
the link might make dpkg-divert --remove rm the original, or die, or
something equally strange.

One benefit always moving it has, is that it tests all code paths on upgrade
(including the "add a /bin/sh symlink") which makes it more likely to catch
any bugs while we're still working on potato.

I don't see how this makes --rename a `Very Bad Thing', though.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds