Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

* "Terry" == Terry Katz <katz@advanced.org> wrote:

Terry> so, you can issue:

Terry> chkconfig postgresql on
Terry> /etc/init.d/postgresql start
Terry> chkconfig postgresql off

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but does this mean, that
the question whether a init.d script would start the daemon is
dependent on the status of this chkconfig thing?

This is a way bad idea.

This means, that during startup, not only the rcX.d links (or the
filerc equivalent) determines what gets started, but also another
config.

This also means, that when I explicitly call "/etc/init.d/postgresql
start" to start the daemon, the result still depends on another config
setting.

The result is a unnecessary "AND" style switch.

If this is how Irix handles this, then I am glad I don't have to use
it.

Ciao,
	Martin