Re: daemon configuration

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 10:49:58AM -0700, David Bristel wrote:
> >
> > > Did you consider his point, though? Why would you install a service
> > > if you don't want it to run?

> > ones you want.  A possible solution would be a "daemon" flag to go on a package,
> > and after the install, the installed daemons are listed.  This is just an idea,
> > but that's another subject.
>
> This is basically what Red Hat does upon installation; it prompts you for which
> services to enable out of a list of installed daemons.  Perhaps upon installation
> or a dist-upgrade, apt could list everything that had a "daemon" flag and prompt
> you to start it.  That way we would avoid asking every time.

I'm uncertain whether this is a good idea or not.  I have helped many
people install redhat linux and, frankly, the daemon enable screen
confuses them.  They don't know what all these things are or which ones
they may need.  If this gets implemented at least have an obvious "enable
default daemons" button.

I also agree that it would be useful to allow installing daemons without
starting them.  I am fond of Roxen Challenger, but I may also want Apache
installed (on an alternate port) in case I decide to play around with it.
It would be a waste of resources to run two http daemons on my machine
when I only want to play with the second one occasionally.  Installing,
configuring, and then removing Apache every time is not satisfactory.
Other than that I have not yet decided on the best solution for this.
Personally, I just remove the symlink from my rc directory for each daemon
I don't want started.  However, I don't know how this is affected by
package upgrades, etc, because I've just recently started using debian
(unstable).

Laters,

Rick (rick@chillin.org)
http://rick.chillin.org

"As long as you want to live, everywhere will become heaven.
Isn't that right?  Because you are still alive.
The chance to achieve happiness, you can find it anywhere."
Yui Ikari
Neon Genesis Evangelion, "The End Of Evangelion"