Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 04:36:04PM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:

> I've install postgresql on my home computer. I need this daemon only
> sometimes. I don't want to start it every time I reboot system.

you need to do something non-standard, so you should do a little bit of
work to accommodate your own needs.

if i needed to do the above then i would edit /etc/init.d/postgresql and
(in the case statement) change "start)" to "go)". this way, it would
not get started at boot time, but i could easily start it by running
"/etc/init.d/postgresql go".

pros:

simple. takes <20 seconds with vi. minimal change, so follows principle
of least surprise. easy to remember. init.d scripts are conffiles so it
won't be automatically replaced at the next upgrade.

cons:

you have to re-do the change if you ever upgrade and answer "Y" to
dpkg's question about replacing /etc/init.d/postgresql.

craig

--
craig sanders