Re: How not to be a nice person (Was: Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality)

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:

> And of course, everyone else on the list doesn't work in the "real world",
> and just plays in their own little pointless sandpit. Feh.
>
> That *is* offensive.

Well, you know what? In many cases, it's true. I have seen many people in
the past few months presenting some kind of strong opinion on "real-world"
issues and then later mention offhand that they just use Linux on their
home computer. The same kind of thing happened in the discussion about
static binaries and the lack of an ability to recover from various forms
of error (oh, and by the way, you can't run lilo on the hard drive while
booting from the rescue floppy right now, because lilo is dynamically
linked).

Most of the truly experienced people, with real-life 24-7 pager support
experience, don't seem to pay attention to this list. This is probably to
be expected.