Re: BTS: How are the bug reports organized?

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Thomas Schoepf wrote:

> I don't understand how this should reduce/limit the number of files in a
> single directory.

Well, it's an application of probability theory.. The last couple digits
are more evenly distributed over the range of active (and inactive) bugs
so you get a more even distribution.

Consider if we have bugs 0->199 and you take the first digit. You end up
with 10 bugs in each bucket except bucket '1' which has 110. Put that on a
broader scale and account for expired bugs and you see the trouble.

Jason