Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 09:47:24PM -0500, Eric Weigel wrote:
> I wanted to look at each of ipopd, gnu-pop3d and cucipop.  I could only
> look at one at a time.  It was ok in my case, because the machine I was
> using has very little pop3 traffic.  But it was awkward.
>
> If I wanted to download source and recompile it, I would not be using
> Debian.  I like the package manager.  I also like the thought that goes
> into problems like this.
[snip]

I'd like to propose something else: until the packages provide proper
debconf (or whatever) support which would configure the port and other
settings for the daemon, let's keep the Provides:+Conflicts: scheme we
have been using so far.

Let's admit it - the newbies[1] are the majority of Debian users. Most of
these newbie users will (usually by accident) try to install another POP3
daemon, it will stomp over an existing one, and the user will get problems
they will not know how to fix, at least not instantly.

I'm all for detailed configuration and enhanced settings and all that nice
stuff for sysadmins, but first, let's get it properly implemented in the
packaging system, the back bone. Until then, keep the default way safe
for the general use.

[1] note the difference between "newbie" and "lamer".

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name