dhcpcd procedure

I recently adopted dhcpcd... previous versions of dhcpcd would restart
during upgrades, which obviously is bad for those doing it remotely.
Since my recent upload does not restart dhcpcd, I need to start it for
those upgrading from previous versions that did stop the daemon.

What would be the best way to check for this?  A simple 'ps |grep
dhcpcd' ? Would doing so make my package dependent on procps?  or is
there a convenient way to check the installed version of dhcpcd
someway?

Being new the development group, I'm not sure if this is best asked
here or on debian-mentors... so please let me know if this thread
should start elsewhere.

Thanks,
Dennis