Re: Is XEmacs nonfree?

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 09:14:15AM +0200, barbier@imacs.polytechnique.fr wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > The FSF does only include code in GNU programs if the author assigns the
> > copyright to the FSF by signing a paper.
>
> Wrong.
>
> Take a look at http://www.gnu.org/software/
> At least shtool and WindowMaker are copyrighted by their authors.

Well, there is a distinction between software that is GNU and software that
is used in the GNU system. So, a GNU system includes X, which is obviously
not copyrighted by FSF (not even GPL).

There are even cases where parts of GNU software contain code not
copyrighted by the GPL (thanks to Gunnar Evermann for pointing out an
example in emacs).

But rest assured that the FSF is very eager to get the copyright assigned to
them, and incorporating parts which are not is an exception usually (I say
this from my experience).

Thanks for the correction,
Marcus

--