Re: corel linux demo

--- Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 05:29:29AM -0700, Kenneth
> Scharf wrote:
> > I  hope some shovelware cd makers will burn their
> beta
> > onto cdr and sell it for those of us without T1
> lines.
>
> I wonder if Corel will allow this... and I wonder
> why I should use a system
> which is not open source...

Probably most of Corel's linux distro IS GPL'ed.
Since
they also are an application vendor they might be
tempted to include propritary SW on the same cd, but
might opt to put such sw on a second cd (and mark that
CD as NON-GPL) to make the issue clear.  ALL of the
other commerical cd vendors have their distro's on an
ftp site for download, and one or two even provide the
iso image file to make your own cd.

As far as using none open source sw, each individual
must make up his own mind.  I think that the os is the
most important part of the system, and theirfore MUST
be open source.  As far as applications go, I would
use (even pay for) a good non open source ap if it met
my needs and there was no pratical reason to look
under the hood.  Wordperfect fits that description for me.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....