Re: bzip vs gzip

Oscar Levi <elf@buici.com> writes:

> An alternative is to buy CDs instead of downloading the (source)
> packages.  If I am trying to build a new distribution, the extra
> time to decompress the source packages is *much* more significant
> than the additional storage requirement.
>
> Still, it is not an obvious call.

Whether or not it's a good idea, if anyone is interested in
experimenting with bzip support in .deb files, they might be
interested in this dpkg "wish list" entry in the BTS.  It contains a
patch which implements alternative compression schemes.

    http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/34/34727.html

Note that the patch is against a (AFAIK) currently unreleased version
of dpkg - however I could not make the published source compile at
all!

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/