Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On 10-Mar-99 Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Montreal Wed Mar 10 16:54:10 1999
>
> Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
>> Now, have any of the issues been fixed?  Was it a package problem?  policy?
>> heaven forbid, user? (-:
>
> Well, one of the examples I can recall right now is that when you
> purge ae a directory is left behind (/etc/ae/?).  I never filed a bug
> report on that one (it was a while ago) and my system is not up to
> date so the bug may or may not have been fixed.  I was also told that
> running crud would find many similar instances (unverified but I don't
> doubt it).

sure someone can puzzle this one out

> I can only vaguely recall the other complaints (something about
> "required" packages being a joke?  or something about completely
> useless and obsolete packages cluttering the cds?) so I can't really
> phrase them adequately right now.
>
> -N.

obsolete packages are part of the freenix community.  It is no fun, but true.
There is no way to make sure that software is the absolute latest.  I have a
book from a year and half ago with a linux 1.x kernel as the default (slackware
cd).  By the time things ship, something is out of date.  If this was not the
case we would not need ftp servers.  Everyone could pay 2 bucks for a cheap
bytes cd every year or so (hell Win users pay alot more).

Please do not be afraid to bring up issues you or others find.  The discussion
often leads to new thoughts and ideas.  We all may never agree on something,
but a consensus can be reached.

This is partly why we hold elections.  Just like in real life, we try to have a
community controlled by the masses.  Other communities like a dictatorship,
others like psuedo anarchist communes.  So be it, to each their own.