Re: How does anyone keep up with this list?

brian@debian.org (Brian Mays) writes:

For those interested, you can also do this with gnus.  As far as gnus
is concerned, for most purposes, mail and news are the same thing.

> (1) Old messages will expire automatically and can easily be archived
>     automatically using standard Usenet methods.

For mail groups, this is controlled by the gnus group parameter
total-expire.  By default, gnus won't expire any of your mail groups,
but you can change that, though gnus still won't expire articles that
you've marked as interesting in some way.

> (2) You can use the automatic threaded features of news readers, which
>     are usually easier to configure than mail readers.

gnus treats mail just like news for most purposes, so you get this for
free, though I will be the first to admit that gnus isn't the easiest
thing to configure (depending on what you want).

> (4) If there are several persons on your local network who follow the
>     more popular public lists, like debian-user or debian-devel, you can
>     save bandwidth and disk space by setting up a news server for your
>     network and subscribe the gateway to the news server, instead of
>     subscribing each person to the lists.

That's a case where setting up a news server would be a win, though
I'd still use gnus to access it :>