Re: Diskless boot NFS server image

In article <[🔎] 19990301104536.C12760@molec3.dfis.ull.es> you write:
>On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 07:38:04PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>[...]
>> Ideally, it should be possible to somehow support diskless systems
>> directly into dpkg, however this is beyond the scope of my efforts.
>
>What about using dpkg's option "--root=<directory>" while
>creating/updating the root filesystem for the diskless systems?

No, I can't do that as the root filesystem is shared, and doesn't
contain /var, /etc, /dev, or /usr (these are mounted from non-shared
sources on boot).

Using dpkg would only work if there was a completely isolated root
filesystem for every client (ie nothing can be shared between multiple
hosts except things that dpkg doesn't touch, eg /home).

Anyway, while this would solve some issues (eg ssh postinst script), it
wouldn't help with others (eg fdutils postinst script, which checks the
hardware on the computer is is being run).

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.