Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Edward Betts wrote:

> General project goals:
> potato estimated release - between June and August 1999

Which means we'll release by April 2000th given our current schedule
slidings... ;)

> Package management goals:
> Apt, the new front end to the package management system as standard
>   Versions for:
>     * Console        - telnet access, console lovers and vgaless wonders
>     * Frame buffer   - for graphical install before X is configured
>     * X, own toolkit - for people who do not like gtk or kde (?)
>     * X, gnome/gtk   - apt in gtk fully intergrated with gnome
>     * X, kde/qt      - someone will do a port

Are the kde/X, own toolkit/frame-buffer ports _really_ needed? A GNOME
version and a non-X version are enough IMHO (not that it would hurt to
have other versions, but I'm not sure we really need to have _5_
front-ends required in our project goals)

> A method for supporting package splits and package renames

The necessary support is already in dpkg. dselect & apt just need to use
it...

> Boot disk:
> Install from serial line

I think this already works for sparc at least.

> CD-ROMs with 2.88Mb boot disk, fit more stuff in.

Or directly a CD-ROM with a 20 MB live filesystem... Why limit ourselves
to just 2.88 MB?

> Desktop enviroments
>   GNUstep             - Will it be stable?

Probably not.

>   UDE                 - Is it free?

UDE is still feature-free. (besides the icky-looking WM)
Maybe in a couple of years it'll be worth packaging, but so far it's
pretty much inexistant.

> Graphical Users Interfaces
>   xfree86 3.3.3.x     - some more drivers, with redhat xconfigurator?

With a bit of luck 4.0 should be out by then.

> perl 5.005            - lots of recompiles

Definatly!

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:   http://www.openhardware.org    Logiciels du soleil: -