Re: x11amp

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 10:14:38PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 03:05:01PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > >
> > > the mp3 patent
> > Which nobody has guaranteed is valid or defensable in Germany, let alone
> > anywhere else.  (I believe the EU does not allow software/algorithm patents,
> > IIRC.)  And which applies only to encoders.
> >
> > I don't see why we ought to let some lawyers trying to make a good bluff
> > scare us.
>
> Fraunhofer institute holds the patent, we shouldn't take any chances.
> They have already treathened to sue or sued several people who used
> their encoder engine - let's hope that they won't get to the decoders.
> Debian has been very paranoid to the vague licencing terms of some
> progs in the past, from what I've seen.
>
> But that is not the reason why my first guess was non-free. It was
> the fact that mpg123 is in non-free, and x11amp is (according to
> the docs) based on it.

I already have it packaged. It uses plugins for the decoder so I think
x11amp can go in contrib and libmpg123.so can be moved into x11amp-nonfree.

|Stephen Crowley      stephenc@wf.net, crow@debian.org      |
|Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org                 |
|GPG Key              http://va.debain.org/~crow/public.key |
\--- 8A8B 3B82 6EA7 CF4E 01A5  5B21 B378 981D D2E1 0D85 ----/