Re: revisited ITP: webmin

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

 : On Thursday 9 December 1999, at 16 h 41, the keyboard of Gergely Madarasz
 : <gorgo@caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
 :
 : > I've posted an ITP webmin (www.webmin.com) couple of months ago, it was
 : > not dfsg-compliant then. Now Caldera acquired it, it is under a BSD
 : > license, so we can put it in main.
 :
 : No. See <http://www.webmin.com/webmin/intro.html>:
 :
 : ----------------
 : Following the acquisition of Webmin by Caldera, all past and future versions of Webmin on Linux are available under the
 : BSD licence. This means that on the Linux platform, Webmin may be freely distributed and modified for commercial and
 : non-commercial use.
 :
 : On non-Linux platforms, Webmin is also freely distributable for non-commercial use. However, if you want to include it in
 : a non-Linux based commercial product, contact me about licencing.
 :
 : It violates DFSG #8 "License Must Not Be Specific to Debian".

Debian != Linux ... the license is specific to Linux, not Debian!

The license still sucks, and I think it doesn't work for Debian cos
Debian can (and does) have non-Linux distros ...

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD