Re: bind and syslog

* Balazs Scheidler said:

> > it anyway? It's not like openlog() returns a handle that's passed to
> > syslog. Why force every user to deal with this? Especially since there's
> > no real hint on the man page that it might be necessary. (Hmm, I guess
> > that's the one man page I shouldn't complain about...:-))
>
> I've just checked out glibc 2.1.2, and it does have error checking. If the
> connection to the local syslogd is broken (e.g. a SIGPIPE or EPIPE is
> received), the connection is reopened, and the message triggering EPIPE is
> written to the console.
Hmm.. then what I wrote in my previous mail doesn't hold valid anymore. Does
the libc keep per-application state?

> It's unfortunate, that sendmail opens a connection at startup, and this
> connection is inherited through fork()-s, and if syslogd is restarted, the
> broken connection is inherited, thus the first message of each forked
> children is lost, and is sent to the console.
Same happens with bind, I imagine. And also on 2.3.x kernels syslog doesn't
start at all in the system bootup sequence - one has to start it by manually
executing usin /etc/init.d/sys*log start. I guess it's some problem with the
unix domain sockets on 2.3.x.

marek