chmod/chown -R - maybe an ITP

chmod/chown -R is a bad thing to run on a user's home directory because the
user could create a hard link to any other file in the file system.  To be
able to create a hard link to just need to know the name of the file and have
execute access to the directory it resides in (no other permissions are
needed).
Some files are always at known locations such as quota.group and quota.user.
Anyone running a serious multi-user system will have quotas and will not want
some haXer to try and get ownership of them.

Do we have a set of chmod/chown programs that will solve these problems?
I would like to have versions of them which take a source UID or GID.  So we
can say "recurse through this directory and change the ownership or
permissions of files owned by this user".
This will make it really easy to renumber UIDs, "nuchown oldUID newUID -R /" !

Are programs like this in Debian already (seems that almost everything else
is)?  If not does anyone know of some good programs in existance that I could
package?
If not consider this a maybe ITP to write and package some new programs to do
this (please send me any suggestions you may have).

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with