Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 05:42:57PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 01:28:21PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > If you name GUI xwm, then yes.
> > If you name GUI the whole desktop, then no.
>
> you're making the mistake of assuming that JW's needs are the only
> yardstick for measuring "good". my point was that what JW wants may be
> good for him, but bad for me. what i want is good for me, but probably
> bad for JW.

Do JW like our GUIs ? probably not
Do you use GUI ofr everyday activity ? probably not

So we dont have good GUI neither for you nor for JW.

> from my POV, we have good GUIs because they meet my needs. i want
> something simple and fast with programmable menus that lets me have lots
> of xterms and a web browser and (occasionally) a game or a spreadsheet
If I want to use web browser, i use w3m
The only good GUI browser ever run on my computer was MSIE

> or CD player or whatever without getting in my way or slowing me down
> or forcing me to take my hands off the keyboard. i specifically do not
> want drag and drop, or a pretty file browser, animations, dancing sheep,
> cpu-burning screen savers or any of the other crap that the JW's of this
> world think are essential.
me neither

> (i'm sure all those things exist for linux. that's fine, somebody must
> like them or need them. but i don't like them, need them, or want them)
>
> so who is right?  me or JW?
>
> we both are. what i want is good for me. if JW likes it too, then that's
> good. if not, then he can probably find something he does like. if he
> doesn't, i really do not give a damn.
>
> > Someday we will have to make moron-installable distro.
>
> why?
>
> that's a serious question, btw.  why will we have to do that?  what benefit
> is there to us in doing that?

1)
When the system is installed, and something doesnt work,
you can hack it, replace it, find fix on the net etc.
But until system works you can do nothing. If something
doesnt work with installer you are powerless. Even if you know
how to fix it, unless you have working system, you cant do anything.

2)
If you had to make about 20 exactly the same instalations, and
you had to ask the same questions 20 times, you would see the problem.
Installation : run : `make_config_floppy /dev/fd0' at already installed
system, put it into virgin computer, put there cd also, reboot and
wait until you have working system is exactly what is needed.

3)
autoreproducing systems (pt 2) are cool !!!