Re: Debian for blind?

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 03:28:07PM +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:
> Is anybody working on Debian customized for blind people?

While I'm not working on it specifically, I am a legally blind people *g*
and am willing to work on it.  When package pools are ready it would be
very easy to customize the dist for the blind to use it.

Biggest problem is that I haven't yet got a speech synthesizer, even an
old accent or something, so it's not real easy to do much with it.  I know
how to configure X for low-vision users (virtual resolutions rock!) though
at the lowest resolutions (and highest magnifications) the mouse does Many
Strange Things I haven't had time to figure out a fix for..

We already have emacspeak packaged.  We've got festival too, but that's
almost useless other than as a research toy or for simple scripts which do
things like tell you that you have new email and who it's from.  =/

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3