Re: death of the gif format

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 06:08:00PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > once again, there is confusion between non-free software and
> > patent-encumbered free software.
>
> Not really.  And *I'm* not inflicting anything on anybody.  The patent
> holders are, by making it impossible to make a free OS with software
> that infringes on their patents in this part of the world (and I'm in
> Canada, btw, not the US).

so maybe we should have a "patent-encumbered" archive in .nl or .se
or somewhere else that doesn't allow software patents. we certainly
shouldn't just give in to the abuse of intellectual property laws being
perpetrated by large corporations...instead, regard it as damage and
route around it.

i'd suggest .au as well, but we have some weird laws here too and the
situation is far from clear-cut.

craig

--
craig sanders