Re: death of the gif format

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 11:08:38AM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> 3. As for making a difference.  *Someone* has to carry the banner for
>    free software.  Debian is the banner-bearer.  I'm not a "religious"
>    free-software zealot.  But I do recognize the value of the role that
>    Debian takes, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with what percentage
>    of the total OS market we represent.  It has everything to do with
>    principles and leadership.  We hold the bar a bit higher, and as long
>    as we are still being heard, the whole free software world benefits
>    as a result.

this seems like a US problem that you're inflicting on the rest of the
debian-using world in order to wave your banner.

GIF is only non-free in those countries which acknowledge software
patents.

once again, there is confusion between non-free software and
patent-encumbered free software.

craig

--
craig sanders