Re: death of the gif format

> > wrt to discussion to remove gifs and related utilities from potato.
> > This won't help much in killing the format. Debian is a very small % of
> > total OS out there. I need gifs for the work I do (web development).
> > Clients need to see the work that is done. Some people won't upgrade to
> > potato if there are no gif utilities in it.
> >
> > result: Weaken Debian to weaken gif format. Which is more important?

IMHO, the best choice would be to maintain two packages, if possible.
other would be in non-free, and other in main. if there are conflicting libraries or other files, it would be nice to use the alternatives system to choose the right one.

althought this would bring up the stress on the maintainers of these packages.

--
get a life, get the second one free...