Re: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts

The only thing that makes the 486 closer to modern CPUs is the floating point
instructions that were included in the 486DX.  Note that the 486SX machines do
NOT have the floating point built in.  Aside from the floating point
instructions being supported in all chips since that time, there is NOTHING
about the 486 that would speed up performance of the newer processors.  So,
there's no reason to spend the time to make our default anything different than
what it is.  The issue when talking about a "processor specific" build of a
package is that you are NOT talking about instructions, you are talking about
doing a re-compile for the WAY a processor handles it's instructions.  Because
of that, if there is a major core difference, it won't help you.  Pentium to
Pentium 2, means that Pentium 2 won't get better performance from a Pentium
version.  You MAY see a SLIGHT improvement, but not worth the effort.  From
Pentium 2 to Pentium 3, there was less of a change, so a Pentium 2 ver would
would fairly well on a Pentium 3.  But it wouldn't do a thing for those with AMD
CPUs

							Dave Bristel