Re: Package Pool Proposal

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> On 1 Dec 1999, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > > I would also be anoyed to see all those sparc, hurd, m68k, i386, alpha
> > > deb packages when looking for a source file.
> >
> > How about:
> >
> >   ls *.gz
>
> Don't forget the mirrors Phil, it is popular to mirror only certain archs,
> omit souce or whatever. I think we should not deviate from the current
> format of having binary-foo.

Good point.

We could handle that either by having a set of rsync recipes to do the
include/exclude stuff, or perhaps more usefully (since it would work
for ftp/http mirrors) we could build partial views of the package
pool, populated with hard links into the real pool.  So you get:

  pool/g/grep/<all grep files>
  pool-source/g/grep/<all grep source files>
  pool-i386/g/grep/<all versions of i386 grep .deb's>

Cheers, Phil.