Re: xdm and user's profiles

Michael Beattie <mickyb@es.co.nz> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 05:54:15PM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > If you need system wide enviroment stuff, put it in
> > /etc/enviroment. Its the only place used by all shells, since its
> > passed as the initial enviroment to all shells.
>
> Not true. I cannot get /etc/environment values to be set when I use xdm to
> log into X. I have not tried via startx, but I presume that will work.
>
> I may have futzed, and gotten the format wrong, if someone would enlighten
> me, I'd be appreciative.

------------------------- /etc/enviroment ----------------------------------
LANG=C
EMAIL="goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de"

# echo $LANG
# echo $EMAIL

I use xdm to log in and as you can see LANG is set correctly but EMAIL
is not. Strange. I don´t have LANG=C anywhere else I believe, at least
not in ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile or /etc/profile. Under console login
it works as it should. I have to check the xdm login to get arla to
work, so I will look for /etc/enviroment stuff as well.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin