Re: y2k-update for slink

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 04:38:14PM +0000, Kenneth Chin wrote:
> Vincent Renardias wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Kenneth Chin wrote:
> >
> > > I updated gs-5.10 with the y2k version, but it depends on
> > > vflib2, and vflib2 recommends 2 Japanese fonts. Why is
> > > it necessary for gs to use vflib2?
> >
> > because now it supports japanese fonts. (yes, it's a problem, but
> > I consider it a minor one)
> >
> Could there be an alternative in the up-coming packges:
>  - gs 'suggests' vflib2 instead of 'depends'?

It needs the library. If it tries to run without the library, it
will fail. It's the nature of dynamic binding in Unix.

>  - vflib2 'suggests' Japanese fonts instead of 'recommends'?
>    (if gs must depend on vflib2)

Last time I tried it, gs needed those fonts (as in, wouldn't
work at all without those fonts. For anything.) Having a multi-GB
hard drive, I installed those fonts and haven't checked it since.
The GS maintainer claims to have fixed it, but I would try it
without those fonts installed first, especially as to a clean
failure mode for Japenese text.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
I see no trend at all, except toward women playing mean and ugly