Re: Bug in tar? (was Re: world writable /usr/lib/libguile.so.6.0.0)

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 10:49:33AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 02:46:35PM +0000, Ben Collins wrote:
> > I think you are missing the problem. This is a hard link to a symlink.
> > IMO, this is a bad situation either way.
>
> You're right, I didn't see that.
>
> But, that shouldn't be a permissions problem.

Actually this does appear to be a dpkg problem. Dpkg sees it as a normal
file (or a hard link to a normal file) and then chown's it on install,
which in turn chowns the actual file. Atleast this is a guess without
really looking at the code. I'll check into it later tonight though. In
the meantime, I don't think we should have hardlinks to symlinks :)

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '