Re: Package Pool Proposal

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 11:13:16PM -0800, Guy Maor wrote:
> I am going to implement something like this.
>
> The archive will look like this:
> debian/dists/pool/{binary-arch,source}/x/package
>   x is the first letter of the filename.  Note that packages are not
>   organized according to section in the archive, just filename.
>
> debian/dists/{stable,unstable,non-free}/binary-arch/Packages.gz
> debian/dists/{stable,unstable,non-free}/binary-arch/pool ->
>   ../../../pool/binary-arch
> (similar for source tree)
>   There are neither packages nor symlinks to packages here.  The index
>   refers to all packages through the pool symlink.
>
> A database exists that records for each package:
>   - what versions are available.
>   - what version (if any) are in each distribution (stable, unstable, frozen).

would it make sense to add :

   - what version (if any) are available for each architecture

so we can fix the ftp.debian.org bug that breaks the archive each time a
package version is increased, and said package depend on a binarty-all with
exactly the same version number (see gnome-games for example). And thus are
uninstallable for other archs that didn't yet recompile it, or worse where the
new version of the package is broken, but older packages are ok.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER