Re: experimental bash-2.03 and readline-4.0 packages for potato

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 03:35:09PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> A solution which is proposed in the BTS is to divert /bin/sh in the
> preinst of bash and remove the divertion after installation. I am
> not quite sure - I did not yet understand those divert stuff and
> sadly it is not properly documented. This was the only reason why
> I did not upload a new bash fixing the /bin/sh problem.
>
> In fact I asked for help on a few lists but never got any responses.

Well, let's consider the cases you'd want to deal with:

(1) installing bash using dpkg -i --root
(2) installing bash using dpkg --unpack
(3) installing bash using dpkg -i

(A) installing bash on a working system with
	/bin/sh -> bash
(B) installing bash on a working system with
        /bin/sh -> [something else]
(C) installing bash on a working system with
	/bin/sh -> /etc/alternatives/sh -> /bin/bash
(D) installing bash on a working system with
	/bin/sh -> /etc/alternatives/sh -> [something else]

Frankly, I'm not sure what bash *should* do in all these cases.

If you can tell me what bash should be doing for each of these
cases I can tell you how to write the scripts.

--
Raul