Re: New user for logcheck

    Michael> On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 04:09:28PM +0000, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:

    >> Logcheck is a new package in potato and it's purpose is to
    >> check the system log files for unusal parts. It is a shell
    >> script that is run from cron.

    >> I got a suggestion for the logcheck package that I like. The
    >> suggestion was that logcheck should run as an own uid with the
    >> gid 'adm' (so that it can read the system log files). That
    >> would mean that a new uid is needed (or does it make sense to
    >> use an existing one - I don't think so).

    >> Would that be a problem ?

    Michael> What does the new userid buy us? Does the script accept
    Michael> user input? Does it create files? What about running it
    Michael> as nobody?

What about the "Re: Logs and Permissions for Daemons" thread recently
on *this* mailing lists, where people made comments like:

(sorry for quoting these points again, but I am concerned that some
people may have missed them - and this topic seems to come up
regularly on this mailing list - perhaps we need a FAQ or something?
Does one exist?)

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>