Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 07:33:36AM -0800, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> I don't see how Debian/FreeBSD would do anything to jeopardize
> existing Debian ports. It may suck up the time of some developers, but
> since all developers are volunteers, that is their own perogative.
> It will not force any Debian software to go with a BSD license, or
> require that software packaged for it follows the BSD license.

Don't forget about competition for archive space resources.

The port isn't being approached with an eye towards conserving archive
space -- everything is being recompiled.  Supposedly the goal of
this project is to give linux users the option of using a bsd kernel.
So the first goal should be to upgrade freebsd's linux compatability
to the point where the freebsd kernel plus some small number of kernel-
dependent packages can drop in to an existing debian system.

Instead, stuff like bash and gcc are being rebuilt to run on freebsd, and
there's a call going out for help in rebuilding the rest of the archive.

While there's nothing inherently wrong with rebuilding the world, in the
current circumstances it seems more like a competitive strategy than an
enhancement strategy.

[And, yes, I've posted on debian-bsd about this.  Last time I checked
my email I'd not gotten any responses.]

--
Raul