Re: I'm being ignored (fixing minor bugs)

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Panu Hällfors wrote:
> > I suppose you're not doing software developement for your living?
> > If you were, you'd probably know that no such thing as
> > "a perfect program" exists.
>
> Actually, it's possible to prove programs are correct (and thus bug-free).
> It's just that this doesn't work very well for programs of any significant
> size.

That doesn't solve the wishlist problem though, of course.

Incidentally, it's perfectly possible to design a large program so that it
can be proved correct.  It just requires a large degree of modularisation
in general.

Furthermore, while I'm in a counterexample mood (I'm a mathematician, you
see) there is a standard example of a program that has stopped changing
but is far from dead - TeX.

Jules