Re: I'm being ignored

On 99-11-20 Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:
> #34326: memstat: Should add libc5-compat dirs
> 		254 days old

> An year-old bug with a simple fix, yet nobody bothered to even try it.

Oh, did you tried contacting the maintainer and asking why it  hasn't
been fixed? Did you try to fix it and/or provided a patch?

> #40037: bug: long subject lines under gnome-terminal warp to beggining of line
> 	when using -f
> 		149 days old

> I tested it again a few minutes ago; and it worked. I closed it by hand, since
> it looks like the maintainer neglected to do so.

It looks like? Have you tried to contact the maintainer?

> Those are just two examples... I bet there are *many* more. Everybody seems to
> focus only on RC bugs and forget about the normal/wishlist ones that have a
> simple fix or even have been fixed a long time ago.

Well, RC are there more important ones. If we don't get the number of
RCBs down to zero or remove some packages with RCBs, we can't and won't
release Debian Potato as stable. So as the number of RCBs increased in
_one_ week from about 290 to about 310, we need to work on those first.

> The QA team is a joke; they too have the same RC-only-mind disease.

No, but we have also jobs, where we work sometimes 12hours a day and
only get 5 or 6 hours sleep. I hate it to read such a sentence about the
QA-Team, because you forget, that we are only human people, that have
real jobs and are doing this work here for fun and as a hobby. If you
have enough time to go the bug-list, then subscribe to debian-qa and
starting help, or please shut up.

> Every bug, even the wishlist ones, is important. It means the program isn't
> perfect yet.

Do we need to live in a perfect world? Don't you appreciate sometimes
the little faults in this world? So, why should a programm be perfect?
Also you forget that wishlist means a user has the wish to see this
feature. This implies that if such a feature is not included in a
program, it's no problem for releasing a new Debian. But the bugs with
severity important and grave need to be fixed before and so we
concentrate our work first on those.

Ciao
     Chris -Upset about this- tian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *