Re: New science section

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:38:20AM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > > xtide 2.1.99dev1-1  provides tide and current predictions
> > > proj 4.3.3-1  Cartographic projection filter and library
> >
> > These two should go into science, IMHO. All of the chemistry, biology,
> > geography, history, philosophy ( ;) ) etc related things should go into
> > "science", not 'misc' nor 'math'.
>
> I agree.

Well, I think this is settled then. Upload packages with fixed 'Section:'
control fields and tell ftpadmin@ to move them in place.

> How about data and map plotters and libraries?
> (When I started using Debian at bo, we didn't have many of these.
> It's incredible how many we now have!)
[snip 27 packages names/descriptions]

I'm not sure. What would be left in 'math' if we moved all these to
'science'? :)

BTW are there any physics related packages in the distro?

> Of the above, probably octave-plplot should stay in `math'
> alongside octave.

Why not move it (if moving at all)? We have several packages from same
sources or for similar purposes that are in different sections.

> An annoying thing is the lack of a standard on where to put -doc
> packages.  Do they all go in the `doc' section, or do they stay
> in the same section as the package they document?

No policy there, IIRC. But documentation should go to 'doc', regardless
of what it's about. IMHO, of course.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name