Re: New science section

Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 10:32:48AM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > xtide 2.1.99dev1-1  provides tide and current predictions
> > proj 4.3.3-1  Cartographic projection filter and library
>
> These two should go into science, IMHO. All of the chemistry, biology,
> geography, history, philosophy ( ;) ) etc related things should go into
> "science", not 'misc' nor 'math'.

I agree.  How about data and map plotters and libraries?
(When I started using Debian at bo, we didn't have many of these.
It's incredible how many we now have!)

drawmap 1.7-1        draw customized maps, using raw USGS data files
dx 4.0.6-1           IBM Visualization Data Explorer (main package)
g2 0.40-1            simple to use 2D graphics library
geg 0.99.0-3         a GTK+ Equation Grapher
gnuplot 3.7.1p1-2    A command-line driven interactive plotting program.
grace 5.0.5-1.1      An XY plotting tool
grafix 1.5-1         scientific visualization library.
gri 2.2.4-2          a language for scientific graphics programming.
jgraph 83-10         Jim Plank's program for producing PostScript graphs
kali 3.1-1           draw tilings, frieze patterns, etc.
libplot-perl 2.2.0-1 perl interface to plot library
octave-plplot 0.3-7  PLplot (a scientific ploting library) interface for Octave
pgperl 2.15-1        perl interface to the pgplot plotting library
perl interface to the pgplot plotting library
pgplot5 5.2-9        large subroutine library for plotting scientific data.
plotmtv 1.4.1-5      multipurpose X11 plotting program.
plotutils 2.2-2      The GNU plotutils (plotting utilities) package.
plplot 4.99j-10      Scientific plotting library
plplot-doc 4.99j-10  Documentation for PLplot, a plotting library
plplot-tcl 4.99j-10  Tcl/Tk support for PLplot, a plotting library
python-gnuplot 1.4-1 A pipe-based interface to the gnuplot plotting program
quickplot 0.4.3-1    X-based data viewer
sciplot 1.36-3.1     widget for scientific plotting
vis5d 4.3-5          Visualizes data made by numerical weather models and similar sources.
vis5d-doc 4.3-5      Documentation for the Vis5D visualization system
xgobi 19991006-1     Interactive dynamic data visualization programs
xmgr 4.1.2-2.3       An XY plotting tool
xplot 1.19-2         a simple x-y column data plotter for X.

Of the above, probably octave-plplot should stay in `math'
alongside octave.

An annoying thing is the lack of a standard on where to put -doc
packages.  Do they all go in the `doc' section, or do they stay
in the same section as the package they document?

Peter