Re: Help!! inetd refuses to start with the new netbase package

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Andreas Tille wrote:
Sorry for quoting myself, but I want to provide further
information:

> I tried to install the recent potato packages after working
> with the packages from early September this year.  This
> seems to cause trouble with the new splitted net packages.
>
> For instance a
>
> # dpkg --configure netbase
> Setting up netbase (3.16-5) ...
> WARNING: Using deprecated debconf compatibility library.
> WARNING: Using deprecated debconf compatibility library.
> Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
> Restarting internet superserver: inetd.

I tied
     /etc/init.d/inetd restart
manually and it fails (read: stops working and requires ^C :-()

Anyway a
     /etc/init.d/inetd stop
     /etc/init.d/inetd start

works and I could start

     /etc/init.d/nfs-server.dpkg-new start

successfully.  Yes, I started the dpkg-new one which seemed me
to be better.  As I said, I couldn't configure the net related
packages, but they seem to work if inetd is stoped first and than
started.

Any idea what went wrong?

Kind regards

           Andreas.