re: cd snapshots

On 16-Nov-99 Paul Harris wrote:

> so you would like to not have to create your own iso-images? i thought it
> was easy to create them (pipe it through mkhybrid or whatever).

I see more than one need. I proposed iso-images, periodically updated,
because we don't know when developers or users update their system to unstable.
So, if you don't have a mirror, you can have potato cds.
I know that this is difficult, but I think it could be very useful.

> i'm imagining people running something like apt-get update (and have to
> pay that, unfortunately), and then apt-get --simulate upgrade (piped to
> mail some program that will queue all the requests for me).

Wow, I like very much your idea, even if I didn't think of it. Cds "ad hoc"
would be perfect, probably they could change in positive many developers or
users troubles.
An important point is that in this way, unstable distributions could be more
tested, because a lot of people could use unstable. I think we can discover a
lot of bugs before freeze. Better than now!

> so then you can get custom cds built for you... perhaps a buffer could be
> used so numerous apt-get install things would also get emailed and
> combined into one cd sent every fortnight/few days/month... all at
> someones request.
>
> i'm really interested in starting this, but i'm still new at cgi/php/perl
> and all that stuff, so any input is VERY welcome!

I don't think I can be a valid help. However I'm ready to help as I can.

I repeat, your proposal is very interesting. I hope that, as you suggest or in
another way, we can solve this problem and help many people in helping
ourselves. ;)

bye
Christian

---
   Christian Surchi, csurchi@mclink.it, www.firenze.linux.it/~csurchi
  PGP fingerprint = 05 CE 0B BE BF FC B6 14  53 CA C7 8E AE 3A F2 6A
  GPG fingerprint = D1E2 9A9D 1712 0E94 8671  834E 0CFF 30E1 2625 7B68
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer
and die.                -- Mel Brooks