Re: Logs and Permissions for Daemons

On 17/11/99 Anand Kumria wrote:

I was under the impression that the uid would be assigned dynamically
at install time. Having that many static uid would be a problem.

I recall reading (somewhere) that we assign uids 500 - 999 for local
sysadmin use. And that we might/will trample on uids 1 - 499
(i.e. they are eserved for the distribution).

all right this thread is bugging me, I am reading in /usr/share/debian-policy version 3.1.0.0

lynx /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/index.html

(if you have actually read the Debian policy on this subject you may ignore the following)

section 3.2 Users and Groups:

[...]

0-99:
Globally allocated by the Debian project, must be the same on every Debian system. These ids will appear in the passwd and group files of all Debian systems, new ids in this range being added automatically as the base-passwd package is updated.

Packages which need a single statically allocated uid or gid should use one of these; their maintainers should ask the base-passwd maintainer for ids.

100-999:
Dynamically allocated system users and groups. Packages which need a user or group, but can have this user or group allocated dynamically and differently on each system, should use `adduser --system' to create the group and/or user. adduser will check for the existence of the user or group, and if necessary choose an unused id based on the ranged specified in adduser.conf.

1000-29999:
Dynamically allocated user accounts. By default adduser will choose UIDs and GIDs for user accounts in this range, though adduser.conf may be used to modify this behavior.

30000-59999:
	Reserved.

60000-64999:
Globally allocated by the Debian project, but only created on demand. The ids are allocated centrally and statically, but the actual accounts are only created on users
 system on demand.

These ids are for packages which are obscure or which require many statically-allocated ids. These packages should check for and create the accounts in /etc/passwd or /etc/group (using adduser if it has this facility) if necessary. Packages which are likely to require further allocations should have a `hole' left after them in the allocation, to give them room to grow.

65000-65533:
	Reserved.

65534:
	User `nobody.'