Re: Logs and Permissions for Daemons

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Anand Kumria wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > And how many daemons are in debian? At least 300, I'd say.
> >
> > How many would the average user have installed? Less than half, I'd
> > say.
>
> That doesn't matter, the uid's in this range are asisgned statically.

Sorry,

I was under the impression that the uid would be assigned dynamically
at install time. Having that many static uid would be a problem.

I recall reading (somewhere) that we assign uids 500 - 999 for local
sysadmin use. And that we might/will trample on uids 1 - 499
(i.e. they are eserved for the distribution).

Anand