Re: Window Maker/WPrefs and NFS on potato

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > I understand that fcntl locks don't work over NFS, but apparently fcntl
> > used to set errno to ENOLCK if you tried it, while now it sets it to
> > EACCESS.  That's apparently why the same code worked fine on
> I'm using the user space NFS server here with a 2.2.12 client that's not
> mounting with nolock (if you use nolock, there would be no error at all).
> The error I get is ENOLCK as you would expect.

I have started using nolock to avoid this problem.  It definitely does
seem like a legitimate problem, I'm just not sure where.  Maybe I will try
a different kernel on the client.  I don't think that will help, because
2.2.11 works fine on my slink client, but not the potato client.  I have
to suspect glibc, because that's the only major difference between the
slink and potato clients.  They're running the same kernel, and the client
code is the same.

> Are you running knfsd on the server, and if so, are you running rpc.statd on
> the client?

No, I'm using the user space server.  What advantages does the kernel
space server have?  Performance hasn't really been an issue because of the
small number of clients.

  PGP Public Key available at http://www.morgul.net/~frodo/mail.html
  or by `finger -l frodo@morgul.net`

Version: 2.6.3a