re: cd snapshots

hi,

this is with regards to a post on debian-user about the slowness of debian
releases on CDs (downloading too expensive).

how about this idea: i have a cd burner and i wouldn't mind burning cds
for people... we could mail them (ie through the post) to people who
request cds through the web. it would be a good chance to build e-commerce
style purchasing (to cover costs) and a team could be created so we don't
have 1 guy spending his whole day pushing cds into his burner... the work
could be spread...

i have a LAN connection with a mirror just across the cable (woohoo :)) so
i don't have a problem downloading (however this may not last :/) debian
packages regularly...

i would like to help debian, and i think this might be a good way... what
do you think...

- too much work? hard to organise volunteers?
- how would be deal with making sure I (or someone else) doesn't have the
power to change packages at will... ie a small file full of MD5 sums that
can be downloaded and checked against a snapshot...
- how do we avoid making "completely broken" debian cds. eg between
massive perl/gcc/libc upgrades?

in any case, the cost of a cd and postage would probably work out to be a
LOT cheaper than a bulk download, so maybe its a worthwhile idea?

Paul