Re: commands with non standard name

From: Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net>
Subject: Re: commands with non standard name
Date: 12 Nov 1999 09:14:11 +0100

> > Perhaps it is very difficult to make every such applications
> > to call xdvi as xdvi-ja, i.e. different name from the standard
> > one.
>
> Debian shouldn't place anything non-standard places. The Real Way to
> do it is using alternatives.

Sorry but I forgot to state an important condition, that is,
not only it is called from another applications but also
it is difficult to use alternatives or diversion.

For example in case of xdvi/xdvi-ja, they already use alternatives
for xaw-wrappers because they do not run under nextaw, so it might
be very difficult to use alternatives (or diversion) once again.

# And with my experience simple alternatives often messed up
# my system

My main point is not to use non standard place but to use
standard name for basic commands so if you have an concrete idea
please let me know.
				1999.11.13
--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>