Re: Request to restrict posting permission to debian-devel-announce

On Thu 11 Nov 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> I wonder if it would be useful to turn that list into a moderated
> list where all "team leaders", * engeneers and * managers would
> get post permission while "normal users" won't.

Sounds a bit extreme.

How about not allowing postings with subjects starting with Re: or
variations thereof, and postings that have a "In-Reply-To" or
"References" header. That should suppress most replies; admittedly not
all...  Note that the more postings a thread has, the more likely people
are going to respond to it, so preventing most replies should be
sufficient.  Combine it with the requirement that the message is signed
by a key on the debian keyring, and it should be pretty secure.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/